STEP BY STEP MAC
- Open the hard drive icon
- Click once on selected icon
- Go to file
- Go to make alias
- Drag to desktop
USING THE APPLE
1)Theme: to change the color of your desktop. Scroll
through the settings.
2)Desktop: select a pattern or a picture for the desktop.
Scroll to select a pattern or click on remove picture and
then click on place picture . Click on clip art or photos. Or
which ever picture you choose then select set desktop.
- Click on alert sound. Choose and alert sound. Click on
word to hear the sound.
- Scroll to set the volume
- Hold down the control button and option button to see
what other characters can be created. You need to
remember what letter was on top of the selected
character. If you want to use the characters using the
control button you need to use Apple Works.
- Shows where your work is saved if you are having
difficulty finding it.
- You can type in an general idea of your title if you
don't remember the entire title.
- Like posted-notes to make reminders for yourself.
These will appear on your desktop when your computer is
- By clicking on note in the top menu bar you can easily
change the text style.
- If you want to change the color of your stickie you
can click on color on the top menu bar and make your
- To create a new note, simply click on file from the
top menu bar and scroll to new note.
BACK TO TOP
STEP BY STEP FOR
- Go to File and scroll down to save as.
- Click on desktop. Find the folder you want to save the
document in or you need to create one. You do this by
clicking on new folder. Click on the title of your folder
and click open. Then you need to create a name for your
document. You are now set to click save to save your
- Type your info or document. Click on floppy disk icon
at the top of your tool bar to save.
Cut, Paste and Copy
- Hi-light item or text to be edited
- Find the scissors icon if you want to cut
- Find the double paper icon if you wish to copy and
- Find the paste icon if you wish to place an item in a
different place. Drag the second item to the new
- To undo a cut or redo a cut you can use the curved
arrows on the tool bar menu.
- Next to the arrows you will find a hyperlink icon. You
will use this when you wish to create an internet website
in your document. Highlight the word or words and click
on your hyperlink icon. Do not save on your dialogue box
when it appears. Then type in the website address using
www. If this doesn't work try http:// first in the
Creating tables and borders:
- Click on Tables and Borders icon on the tool bar menu.
- Using the pencil from the dialogue box, click and drag
diagonally to draw a rectangle the shape of your whole
table. Then split it into columns and rows by drawing
them, and erase unwanted lines with the eraser.
- Also found in the dialogue box you can increase
thickness of line, change style, color, outside border,
and a variety of things.
- A click on the insert table icon allows you to easily
design a table with desired number of columns and rows.
Using the drawing tools :
- To add flair to your documents you can be creative by
selecting autoshapes, to manipulate the various shapes
you should use the icons from the drawing toolbar at the
bottom of your screen.
- You can also fill in color to various shapes or change
- color. Or you can change font color, line
style, and a variety of other options.
- Click on draw and you get a variety of options to
- your drawing layout.
- When using word art found in your drawing toolbar at
- the bottom of your page, you can make a title using
word art. Then to begin typing text you need to cursor
down to get enough space at the top of your document to
drag your word art up into that space. This allows you to
type under the Word Art objects. If you have more than
one Word Art object you can move the entire group by:
clicking on one of them then hold the shift key and click
on the others to get the boxes around them. Then go to
the draw on the bottom tool bar and click on group and
they will all be grouped together to move the entire
BACK TO TOP
E-MAIL STEP BY STEP:
- To open your e-mail you need to go to the desktop and
open up the e-mail iconICA
- Then you have to log in: using user name and password.
- Go to inbox and click to open.
- To send a new message: Click on new at top of menu
bar. Then type in To: the e-mail address of the
- To send a message to contacts, you need to click on
contacts folder. Then highlight the contact you wish to
send message to. Click on New Message to
Contact icon (letter and envelope) on top menu
bar. Type your message and then click on the send button.
To create a new distribution list:
- Click on the contacts on the side menu bar.
- Go to actions on the menu bar at the top.
- Scroll down to new distribution list.
- Click on select members button under name box.
- You type in a name in the blank box---it will
highlight a name of which you have chosen.
- Click to add and the name will appear in your
- Continue to add names to your list as needed.
- Click O.K. when finished.
- Click on save and close.
To Delete E-Mail messages
- Highlight the from and subject title
- Click on the X on the top menu bar.
- Go to the Delete Items folder on Folder List .
- Go to tools on the top menu bar.
- Scroll down to the empty deleted items folder and
- To delete sent items: You click on the sent items
- Go to edit on the menu bar.
- Scroll down to select all .
- Hit the delete button on your keyboard.
- Then do steps 3,4,5 again.
To put something back into the inbox after you have deleted
from delected or sent items:
- You click on it to highlight it.
- Then you drag it over to the inbox.
- Go to contacts folder
- Click on new in the top menu bar.
- Click on address book at the right side of the screen.
- In the new name dialogue box, you need to type in the
name, other info, and e-mail address if not on state
server. May automatically put in the address info (if
wanted) from the global address list.
- Click on save and close at top of menu bar.
- After you have this info, you then click on
envelope/letter icon on top menu bar. (new message to
- To forward something such as a
cool website to share you highlight whatever you want to
- Click on forward on the menu bar at the top.
- Click on the to button and select
from the global address or type in name. to send.
- To Save then Print from E-Mail:
- Highlight wanted message.
- Click on file and go to save as.
- Click on personal. Scroll down to the C drive.
- Click on desktop folder.
- Click on open.
- Choose your folder.
- Change file name so you recognize it.
- Click save.
- Now to print without shutting Citrix you need to
- Click on file in the apple menu and scroll down to
- Close shutter to see desktop.
- Then open your file to print item from Word.
- Click on top bar to unshutter.
To Send Attachments in E-Mail:
- What ever is being attached that folder must be on the
- Shutter to go to Citrix. (Hold down control and option
key) Go to file then to Best to create one.
- Go to new at top menu bar.
- Choose contacts.
- Type in subject and short message.
- Then click on paper clip icon. It takes you to the
last place you were in. Navigate to find and click on
client c drive.
- Click on desk top folder.
- Find name of file and highlight.
- Click on insert at the right hand corner of your
- Your icon appears and then send.
To open your attachment:
- Double clip on it or the paper clip icon.
- Click on save to disk.
- Then click O.K.
- Under personal go to c drive.
- Open desktop folder.
- Save or rename and save.
- Then you need to best it. (Hold down control/option
keys and click on file in apple menu and go down to best)
Then you are able to shutter.
- Double click on Microsoft Word if you are getting
document from it.
- Click open---go to desktop and find file and open
BACK TO TOP
WEB NAVIGATION STEP BY STEP:
- Need to use search engines to surf the web effectively
for the topic you want.
- It is necessary to break down a search into key words.
- You can connect words with and or include them within
- + and may be used as an alternative to (or), (and)
and (and not).
- Can use side search tab or globe/magnifying at top of
menu also for search.
- You can add to favorities by clicking on top menu and
add to favorities which means you have a quick way of
grabbing your good website. To retrieve just click on
side tab and a list comes up.
- The history side tab shows where you have been in case
you wish to go back.
- To remove click and drag to trash.
- Some good search engines are: yahoo.com, google.com,
dogpile.com, and altavista.com.
Downloading image from internet:
- Search for picture.
- Click on picture to enlarge.
- Click on picture and hold to get a menu. Scroll down
to download image to disk.
- Then click on desktop.
- Find personal folder and open and save (may want to
rename before saving). Make sure you have .jpg extension.
Downloading sound from internet:
- Basic steps the same as above except on pop up menu
use down load link to disk.
- Rename with .wav extension.
Downloading video or movie clips:
- Click on video choice link.
- Watch video so it can be downloaded.
- Go back to video link and click and hold. Scroll down
to download link to disk.
- Make sure .mov extension or .mpg on before saving on
desktop or your folder.
- If does not work, ask Mike in class.
BACK TO TOP
Digital Camera Instructions:
- Turn on power switch.
- Adjust the brightness and zoom as needed.
- Need to format disk: have on camera, use
control button to select menu, then select
disk tool then select format.
- To record image set play/camera to camera.
- Press shutter button at top. Image should show
- To preview images: set play/camera to play. Then hold
down the control button to view them. Use arrow keys on
control button to go through pictures. Select
index to view several pictures at once.
- From play menu you can delete images on disk.
- Using camera mode menu: record menu--- normal records
JPEG, E-mail---records compressed files.
- Picture effects: negative art, sepia, black and white,
and solarize, and back to color.
BACK TO TOP
POWER POINT STEP BY STEP:
- Make alias for easy access.
- Choose presentation.
- Click o.k.
- Choose slide layout wanted.
- Click o.k.
- Type in information or picture for each slide.
- Can change background color by going to format on top
- Scroll down to background.
- Choose color or fill effects...click on down arrow for
- Click o.k.
- To create new slide click on paper with flash on menu
bar or go to insert and scroll down to new slide.
- To go back and forth from each slide created click on
To insert a picture in Power Point:
- Go to new slide icon
- Choose blank screen slide.
- Click o.k.
- Go to format and scroll down to background.
- Click on down arrow and scroll down to fill effects.
- Choose picture tab and click on select picture.
- Choose picture from folder.
- Click on insert.
To insert text onto picture:
- Click on insert. Scroll down to textbox.
- Click and drag to create textbox on your picture.
- Type in text and highlight it if you want to change
color of text.
- Click on font color on the draw menu at the bottom of
your screen. Choose color.
To insert movies or sound to Power Point:
- Click on insert and scroll down to movies and sound.
- Choose from pop up menu as to get you preference.
- Highlight frame needed and click on insert.
- Enlarge box as needed.
- To have sound without clicking on icon: Go to custom
animation under the top menu slide show. Go to timing and
click on animate then on automatically. Should be zero
seconds. Then no effects needed. Then go to format. Go
down picture and then click on size tab. Your height and
width should both be at zero inches. (under size and
rotate). Click O.K. Then go back to screen squares will
be squeezed together. Click on side of screen they will
To create a slide show:
- Click on slide show on menu bar at top of screen.
- Scroll down to slide transition.
- Choose an effect, sound, and how you want it advanced.
- Click on apply to apply to slide working on or all for
- Repeat procedure for other sides.
- To create a custom animation for each individual
- Click on custom animation and go through each tab as
needed. Highlight title, text, or picture as needed to
make custom animation. You change the timing and effects
as to how the picture appears on the screen.
- If you want to view or change the order that your
slides are in go to view on top menu bar and scroll down
to slide sorter. You can click on the slide and drag it
to a new location.
- There are short cut icons at the bottom of the screen.
To insert a hyperlink to your slide:
- Highlight text that will be you link to the internet.
- Select picture of the globe with a chain link at the
top menu bar.
- Tool box appears that asks you where you want this
button to take you to. Type in a web site address in the
dialogue box. Click o.k.
BACK TO TOP
- Go to Apple menu on left side.
- Click on applications.
- Adobe Photo shop is the next choice
- Go to file at the top menu.
- Scroll down to import and choose Umaxmagic scan.
- Place picture upside down and so zero marking is
- Check setting: 72xdpi.
- Hit preview and can move marque around to crop and
change setting is needed.
- Hit scan button.
- When done scanning go to file and save as...
- In project one folder and make sure it is saved as
- Rename it and save.
- To retrieve it you need to go to Apple menu and scroll
down to chooser.
- Click on appleshare and go to server 8150 and use NSU
as user name.
- Click o.k. and then choose Project 1 and click o.k.
- Click on picture image and drag to personal folder to
use as desired.
BACK TO TOP
EXCEL STEP BY STEP:
- Make an alias (see instructions above).
- Terminology: where column and row intersect it is
called a cell. The letter and number at the top is called
an address box (location of cell). Columns are labeled by
letter. Rows are labeled by numbers. To move from cell to
cell (across) you tab. To move down you hit the return
button. To add more sheets go to insert and scroll down
to worksheet. It will automatically add one at a time. If
you want to rename the tabs at the bottom click twice to
highlight and then you can rename. To reorder the pages
click on the tab and drag to new location using the
little arrow as a guide.
- Automatic fill: Click and drag to highlight. Then with
plus sign on corner of last box click and drag to fill in
remaining numbers. (You need at least 2 numbers to fill
- Format: To see cells size change. Click to highlight
what you want to resize. Click on format at top menu bar.
Go to column or row enter width or height. Odd characters
mean that number doesn't fit then to change column or row
width or height go to Format scroll down to row or column
or the one you want. Then click on autofit and autofit to
- Create own list: Go to tools at the top menu bar.
Scroll to preferences and click on custom lists tab. Can
create own list by highlighting new list. You can make
your own or use what's there.
- Highlighting: To highlight to different areas at the
same time you can highlight the first normally then hold
down the open apple key and highlight the other area.
- To move rows or columns individually, you need to move
the cross sign into gray area between the numbers or
letters. You need to see a double arrow. You click on the
line and you can move it side to side or up and down.
This is to increase or decrease size of cells.
- Centering words: Type in title. Then highlight words
above the table only. Then click on the merge and center
icon on the tool bar.
- Copy and Paste: Highlight numbers or words that you
want to copy. Click on copy icon then click on row or
column you want it in. Then click on the paste icon.
- Color changes: To change color of words or numbers you
highlight them and then click on the large A on toolbar.
Choose your color.
- Borders: To print lines or rows for columns you need
to highlight area. Go to borders icon on the tool bar and
make your selection.
- Entering Formulas: Begin with = sign. Type an equation
or use a function. Two parts to a function: values or
actual numbers or cell addresses. And operators such as +
or or ave. As the formula is typed it will appear
in the cell and the formula bar. When tab or return is
pressed, your answer appears.
- To format cells so all the information is inside the
cell you need to go to format at the top menu bar. Scroll
down to cell and click on alignment tab. Center
horizontal and vertical. Orientation allows you to rotate
the word in column or row. Use wrap text to fit the
phrase in. Click O.K.
- To create graph: Highlight your two different things
to correlate. Click on the Chart Wizard icon. Choose your
graph choice. Can preview. Go to next. Data range in rows
or columns. Then next to go on to legend to show
placement. Go to next chart location. Click on middle to
drag to move it. Change colors click paint can on tool
bar to make changes. If you want to make changes to your
graph in case you left something out. Click on the chart
to get the word chart on top menu bar. Select chart type,
source data, chart options, and locations. This will
allow you to make quick changes in your chart. But
initially you had to go through all four steps to get to
- To print: Go to file---print---change general to
Microsoft excel. You have three choices. Selection will
print only selected parts that are highlighted. Active
Sheets prints selected worksheet or ones selected. Hold
down open apple to select more than one. Entire worksheet
prints all sheets except the empty ones.
- Freeze Headings: For use in creating grade book.
Select row or column next to it. Then go to
windowselect freeze headings. Move in one to create
split. Allows names to remain when you scroll.
Front Page 1.0 for Macs
Opening Your Web Page for the First Time
Make sure your memory for Front Page Explorer is at 6000 in
the first box and 35000 in the second box. To do this click on
the icon for Front Page Explorer so that the words are
highlighted, go to File and Get Info and Memory. Check the
numbers in the boxes and if necessary change them to the above
To open your web page, open FrontPage Explorer and click on
the button for Open Existing FrontPage Web and OK. In the Web
Server location type in http://teachers.k12.sd.us and hit Select
Webs. This will take a while for the webs to come up. From the
list select your citrix login and either double click on it or
select OK. This will bring up a screen for you to login.
In name type in: k12sd1\(your citrix login, ie bg017)
In password type in: (your 6 digit citrix password)
Then hit ok. This brings up your entire web usually with your
Home Page in the center.
Opening Your Web Page on the Same Computer Again
Open Front Page Explorer and the first button choice should
show Open Web (your citrix login). Select OK and it will open!
Much easier the second time.
Editing Your Web Page
In the Explorer, select the page that you want to work on from
the list on the left column. Click on the arrow in front of the
page or double click on the page icon and it will show you its
map on the right side. Double click on the page from the map and
it will take you to FrontPage Editor to make changes to the page.
After making changes on the page be sure to save before going to
Adding text to your page works the same as in word but the
sizes show up differently. The choices for text size are in the
box on the left of your toolbar. The default is normal which is
very small. For headings and titles you should select Heading 1
or Heading 2. To change the size of your text quickly, highlight
the text and hit the text increase or text decrease button (to
the left of the Bold button).
From the Insert menu bar select Image. Your choices will be
to get the image from Current Front Page Web (this is if you
already have the image on another page in your web), Other
Location (this is if you have it saved in a folder or on your
desktop), and Clip.
Making a hyperlink to an existing page on the WWW
Highlight the text or picture you want to link to a site.
Select the hyperlink button from the toolbar or select Insert and
Hyperlink. Select the tab for World Wide Web and type in the URL
for the site you want to go to and hit OK.
Creating a New Page in your Web
Highlight the text or picture that will take you to the new
page. Select the hyperlink button from the toolbar or select
Insert and Hyperlink. Select the tab for New Page. The computer
will try to guess a good title and URL for your page. You can use
these or change them. It is a good idea to Edit New Page
Immediately so you don't forget about it. Select OK and then type
on the new page the title and create a link back to your original
Creating a Hyperlink to a page that already exists on your
Follow the steps above for a new page but select the tab for
Current Front Page Web and Browse to find the page you want to
connect to and hit Ok and hit OK again.
Tables are very helpful when creating web pages because they
keep everything in correct alignment. To insert a table you can
select the table icon in the menu bar and highlight the number of
rows and columns you would like or you can select Table from the
menu bar and select Insert Table. This will give you choices for
number of rows and columns and you can specify width and border
size. Table should be used for adding images to your page and
To make changes to your table you can click inside the table
and select Table from the menu bar and then Table Properties.
Here you can add a border by increasing the border size from 0
and then selecting border color(s). You can also make the
background of the table into a solid color or another picture.
You can add rows, columns and cells to your table by clicking
inside your table and selecting Table from the menu bar and
Insert Row or Column OR Insert Cell.
Art (this is a small collection of icons, buttons, lines,
etc). When you save the page make sure that you check the names
of the images so they do not include any spaces, hyphens, or
slashes and try to make the name as small as possible.
Changing the Background
Select Format from the Menu bar and Background. If you want a
solid color background, select Background and change the color
box from Default to another color of your choice. You can also
select the text color and hyperlink colors this way. To add a
background pattern to your page select the box for background
image and Browse. Your choices here are Current Front Page Web
(take the same background you have on another page in your web),
Other Location (to take a background that you have saved in a
folder), or Clip Art (this is a small collection on FrontPage).
Adding a Background sound when in the background screen
select the tab for general. Where it says background sound select
Browse and locate the wav file that you want to play when people
come to your site.
Are used to hyperlink within a page to each section of a long
document to the home page. You need to highlight the title of the
document that you copied for your website. Go to edit then scroll
to bookmark. Then you need to type in the name of your document
that you want to hyperlink. Then scroll to top and highlight
title in the table you created (directory). Then go to hyperlink
icon on the top menu bar. Go to tab on open page. Click on
bookmark and scroll down to the title wanted. Then click O.K. Go
to file and save. Then go to file and scroll down to preview in
browser. When you get into browser on internet you need to click
BACK TO TOP
Back to Home Page